Monday, September 1, 2008

Thought Provoking


So the seriousness of the coming election has been brought to my attention a few times with emails and such getting both sides of the campaign. And I've read a few of some friends blogs giving really good information on how to choose the best candidate. One of them was the saying you shouldn't vote for someone because of just one or two issues you should look at what they are going to do for the economy, health care, education, taxes, the war. But I didn't agree that you should leave out the moral issues that ensues the race leaving that to the states to decide. Same Sex Marriage, and abortion are things that I think are very important in choosing the next leader of our country.


I've read John McCain's website on the issues at hand and I've also been to Barack Obamas website and read about the same issues. Some of them make it sound like Barack will have the best Idea and others McCain. But I just got an email that I have verified some information on that made me think twice about the good things that Barack may have in store.


This was taken from a speech Obama gave at a town hall meeting in Johnstown, Pennsylvania


"When it comes specifically to HIV/AIDS, the most important prevention is education, which should include -- which should include abstinence education and teaching the children -- teaching children, you know, that sex is not something casual. But it should also include -- it should also include other, you know, information about contraception because, look, I've got two daughters. 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby. I don't want them punished with an STD at the age of 16. You know, so it doesn't make sense to not give them information." http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/348569.aspx



I put in the bold words. Having a baby of my own this really affected how I think about this man. A baby is not a punishment they are a gift from God.


What made me look into this was a youtube video that I was sent. I won't put it on here because I can't verify all the facts in it but from what I saw about Infantici Abortions, well it made me sick. Anyone that could let a baby who had survived an abortion should have a chance to live. They are left in the trash to die. Some even up to 8 hours after birth before they are dead. They are even given birth certificates and death certificates. It may not be the best thing for this country for people to be a one issue voter but in this case anyone that doesn't value human life should not be running our country! That would leave him his own will to do what he pleases with us no matter the consequence.


If you want me to send the video just ask. I won't be sending this one out but if you would like to see it just leave me a comment and I'll email it to you.


I hope for our humanity that the right person in elected this November!

6 comments:

Kenyon said...

Abortion makes it a make or break deal for me. If they believe in abortion I will NOT vote for them. I am very passionate about the topic. Great post!

RJ said...

That's so great of you Heather, sharing your thoughts on politics! It's a brave thing to do publicly, but I think it's so helpful and important to discuss these kinds of things.

And being strongly opposed to abortion except in cases of rape, incest and mother's health, I agree with a lot of what you've said here.

One thing I would comment on is that you seem to be saying that abortion trumps all issues. Which of course I know you're not saying but it just sounds like that here. I would agree that abortion is important but I would also clarify that it doesn't trump all issues.

One subject that I feel is very important is something I've discussed elsewhere: President Bush's unparalleled transfer of power away from the judicial and legislative branches and into the executive branch. This is, for example, something that has the potential of far more devastating consequences in the long term than abortion. The murder of innocent lives due to abortion is terrible, but by compromising the integrity of the system of checks and balances that this nation is founded on Bush draws into question our ability to effect a government by the people. As much as I hate abortion when the system of government that makes it possible to even participate in these types of discussions becomes jeopardized then clearly there are more pressing issues. Abortion is bad, but losing our ability to oppose unjust laws because of a fundamental imbalance of power is worse, because it opens the door to more atrocities being committed that are just as bad and potentially more widespread and long term than abortion.

I am voting for Obama because he has spoken out against this imbalance of power and McCain's positions are more aligned with Bush's dictator-like power grabbing. I truly believe that if Obama gives more power to the people I will be able to personally effect a change in issues of such grand importance as abortion and many many more.

That is just one example, like I said I'm sure you didn't mean that abortion trumps all issues. For instance, we might say that the issues of rape and incest trump abortion. But honestly, it makes my head hurt to try to decide which issue is most important, they're all important in their own way, of course.

One other comment I would make is that Mr. Obama has been called upon to speak publicly and on the record almost every day of his life for the last few years. I sure have empathy that it's hard to make everything come out the way you want it to every single time. The comment you quoted of his is obviously terrible, but in the interest of honest representation it should be said that if you asked him if he meant it that way, he would for sure say no, and probably clarify it with something you and I would believe too.

tempe turley said...

Heather, I just wanted to give you a bit more of my thoughts on abortion which specifically addresses some of your concerns, but you'll have to go to my blog to get it.

Good luck on your voting decisions. :-)

Here's the link.

Erika Amezquita said...

I'm glad you posted this. I completely agree with you and am also voting for McCain. I've done plenty research on both candidates, and I believe McCain is the best choice, regardless of all the trash they're throwing his way. All you need to look and believe is his record. And he has a pretty damn good one compared to Obama. I'm also VERY passionate about abortion and I will not vote for anyone who supports this injustice. This to me just reveals your true self. I cant vote for someone who believes it is okay to have a baby be left to die in a room all alone. It's inhumane in any possible way, and he voted for it! These are my beliefs and my opinions. All I can say is dont let anyone convince you who you should vote for. Vote for the one who is in line with your personal beliefs and morals. Good Luck!

Erika Amezquita said...

I'm glad you posted this. I completely agree with you and am also voting for McCain. I've done plenty research on both candidates, and I believe McCain is the best choice, regardless of all the trash they're throwing his way. All you need to look and believe is his record. And he has a pretty damn good one compared to Obama. I'm also VERY passionate about abortion and I will not vote for anyone who supports this injustice. This to me just reveals your true self. I cant vote for someone who believes it is okay to have a baby be left to die in a room all alone. It's inhumane in any possible way, and he voted for it! These are my beliefs and my opinions. All I can say is dont let anyone convince you who you should vote for. Vote for the one who is in line with your personal beliefs and morals. Good Luck!

Erika Amezquita said...

Hey,
By the way is this the video you watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYRpIf2F9NA

Because I saw it too a while ago and it was horrific, I could not believe this was actually happening in this country.