Thursday, September 3, 2009

Snowflake - Student Orientation



I went to Snowflake and stayed with Matthew's parents without Matthew 2 weeks ago. It was so much fun. I love going to visit Grandma and Grandpa Weir. Especially in the summer! We actually spent a lot of time outside. So nice except for the mosquitoes and the skunk that was around somewhere. Anyway I went up on a Thursday afternoon after dropping off Damien at Rachel's.
Kathryn did so well on the car ride. She slept until Payson and then was up the rest of the time. Just jabbering at me and making faces and reading books. I love that she reads books in the car.

I got to help Grandma make and bottle salsa while everyone was at school. We got some of the tomatoes from their Garden and some of the peppers. Mick has the best garden.

The reason for the visit was for my foreign exchange students. They all, 4 in the white mountains needed their student orientation. So on Saturday I took Carolina and Alex, staying in Showlow up to Eager to the Whitmore's for the orientation. It was so fun to get to talk to these two for two whole hours. Both are from Spanish speaking countries. Carolina from Mexico City and Alex from Venezuela. It was interesting the differences and the things they liked or thought was weird.


#1 they both had maids to do everything for them

#2 They both think it is better to where a uniform for school

#3 they think it is weird or that we Americans are so separated that we don't touch each other. Not even a hand shake when it is custom to greet everyone with a kiss on the cheek.

( I think we should do more of #3)

#4 They both said they liked the small town atmosphere.


So far I think all of the kids are having a great time. I will be going up again in a few weeks. and They should all be planning on going to the San Fransisco trip in October! I so will be there if it's possible!

I love getting to know about these other cultures. I hope next time I can spend a little more time with Rike from Germany and learn more about her and her culture. Since I get the 2 hour car ride with these other two it was like I didn't even get to talk with her. Next time perhaps!
Last but not least I got to visit with my good friends Michelle and Justin. They are in Pinetop/Lakeside. They came up to a park in Snowflake for the afternoon and I got to go visit with them for awhile. It was so nice to see them! I miss them so much but now I have a good reason to be up in their area while they are still in the cold country!

No comments: