Monday, January 11, 2010

Amnio - Scary or Not Scary

I had my amnio today. I didn't feel nervous at all until we got in the car to go to the doctors office and then waiting in the waiting room. Thankfully Rachel and my cousin Kezia, who is visiting, came with to help ease the pressure, ha ha no pun intended on a pregnant women with a very full bladder. Anyway I get to have another little ultra sound just to make sure where the baby is and such then the Doc comes in with this packet of stuff and just get's to it. The amnio part only took like maybe 2 minutes. I didn't look at the needle it self but Rachel said it wasn't as big or as long as she thought it would be. They took two viles of amniotic fluid which took the longest part of the whole thing. It didn't hurt to put the needle in until it hit my uterus. It was like a bad menstrual cramp for the duration of the time the needle was in. So not bad at all.

So I'd have to say the amnio was not scary.

I did have my sister watch Kathryn for me all day. I should be going to get her soon. I was told to take it easy the rest of the day and no heavy lifting which includes my 26 lb baby. I've just watched a movie, had a conference call with MOM's and had a short nap. Know I'm just sitting at the computer updating my blog and keeping updated on others. It's been a pretty easy day!

Results from the amnio take 2-3 days for the initial results and then 7-10 for the full results. We should know when and where we go for the MOM's evaluation I'm guessing by the end of the week.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Wow - what a day! I'm so glad it went well! I never had one but I can tell you I would have been SCARED! lol. You seem to have been calm and collected and that's great (isn't it odd when peace comes over you and you just DEAl with things for the sake of your baby you otherwise would have ran from? God is so wise.) I hope you were able to rest and take it easy. I too heard a lot about the MOMS study (from other SB moms - none of my doctors mentioned it) and it seemed so overwhelming at the time. I was almost at the cut-off time when I heard about it and would have had to make a really quick decision. The idea of the in-utero surgery scared the living daylights out of me! I couldn't rush into something like that so I passed. Looking back I'm glad I did - Jet is great - no real issues so far so I have no regrets at all. But I'm glad you are going forward and checking it all out. I've heard some great things from some of the mom's who participated and I think the research is a MUST and a great thing to be a part of. Just keep your perspective and don't be disappointed in which group you end up in. If you baby doesn't have the in-utero (which it's my understanding that's what a lot of mom's want out of participating in the study- it may not be yours -) things can still turn out miraculously well! Jet's neuro just told us again today that he will be able to play all sports - just not the obvious contact sports - which reaffirms that our boy will walk, run and play - something we are not guaranteed when you first hear about SB. Jet's opening was so big I was scared that we should have tried to get him in the study for the in-utero surgery- but now I couldn't have asked for a better outcome! So just keep praying for that little girl - God can do what doctors cannot. :) Best of luck with the MOM's and you are to be commended for keeping it together and being so proactive. GO YOU! :) You are such a wonderful mother.

DaNelle said...

You are amazing Heather, I would pee my pants definitely thinking about it. My goat is going to have babies this week and I am going to call you and have Kathryn come play with the babies, she would love it! Talk to ya' soon!

Trisni said...

SO words cant express how brave and strong I know you are. I just read your blog and wish I knew what to say other then I know the Lord has great plans for your family and I am glad you keep a great blog that is personal so that I can read about your experiences and be uplifted by it. You are in our prayers and I love you very much. Your friend Trisni

Jamie said...

Are you in Phoenix, Az also? Do you have Dr. Elliot at Phoenx Perinatal? Let me know! if so, you can meet my Madi!!!